Beverley MinsterBeverley, East Riding of Yorkshire Category For the Family, Historic Sites
Beverley Minster aims to be:
A people of worship — Rejoicing in God
A light to the world — Reflecting Christ
A community of love — Revealing the Spirit
Beverley Minster is the Parish Church of St. John and St. Martin
John, bishop of York, founded a monastery on the site where Beverley Minster stands. John died in 721 and his body was buried in a chapel of the Saxon church; he was canonised in 1037. The present church was built around his tomb.
Building work began in 1220 and was completed in 1425. Throughout the Middle Ages miracles which took place at his tomb attracted pilgrims from far and wide.
Today the church is still a place of pilgrimage for visitors. It also continues to be a place of prayer and worship at the heart of the community.