Shrewsbury CastleShrewsbury Category Historic Sites
Shrewsbury Castle houses the spectacular collections of the Shropshire Regimental Museum Trust including pictures, uniforms, medals, weapons and other equipment from the 18th Century to the present day.
Shrewsbury Castle was originally built by Roger de Montgomery in 1070. It was captured by Parliamentarians in 1645 and was eventually surrendered to the crown in 1660. Charles II then granted Shrewsbury Castle to Sir Francis Newport of High Ercall in 1663 and The Castle remained in private hands until 1924. At this time the then Shrewsbury & Atcham Borough Council, undertook a process of restoration and opened the castle to the public in 1926.
The Castle is a popular venue for licensed civil ceremonies, with the grounds providing a lovely setting for photographs. See our Castle Weddings page for further information.